FACT SHEET: Resources for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Communities in the Aftermath of Mass Violence

FACT SHEET: Resources for Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander Communities in the Aftermath of Mass Violence

The Biden-Harris Administration is committed to providing assistance to survivors and families, and all those affected by mass violence, including in the aftermath of the shootings in Monterey Park, CA and Half Moon Bay, CA and to providing culturally appropriate resources to all those affected, including those in the Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander (AA and NHPI) communities.

Caring for Survivors

The Department of Justice’s Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) funds VictimConnect Resource Center (VCRC), a weekday phone, chat, and text-based referral helpline operated by the National Center for Victims of Crime. Services are available for all victims of crime in the United States and its territories. Visitors to the hotline receive strength-based and trauma-informed services and referrals in over 200 languages.

  • Call or text directly at 1-855-4VICTIM (855-484-2846) or chat online.
  • Support services are available 8:30a.m.–7:30p.m. ET.
  • 1-855-4VICTIM (1-855-484-2846)

The FBI Office for Victim Assistance utilizes the resources of their Victim Assistance Program and Victim Specialists to provide assistance to victims of crimes investigated by the FBI.  

  • Call 877-236-8947 for more information.

The CA Victim Compensation Board (CalVCB) works to reduce the impact of crime on victims’ lives. CalVCB reimburses crime-related expenses, connect victims with services and support.

  • Online application forms for victims of mass violence in Monterey Park and Half Moon Bay. Forms are available in Chinese (Traditional and Mandarin) and in Spanish.
  • Call CalVCB’s Customer Service Line for assistance: 1-800-777-9229

The Department of Justice’s Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) provides updated, customized information on their website for persons needing assistance in the aftermath of a mass violence incident. 

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) coordinates the Technical Resources, Assistance Center, and Information Exchange (TRACIE) which provides a wide range of resources, information, and guidance to communities affected by tragedy.  These technical assistance resources can support local leaders as they seek to address pressing needs and challenges.

  • For more information about the TRACIE program, call 1-844-587-2243.

Providing Mental Health Resources and Other Supports

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)-funded Disaster Distress Helpline is a national helpline dedicated to providing year-round disaster crisis counseling. This 24/7 toll-free, multilingual, and confidential crisis support service is available to residents in the United States and its territories who are experiencing emotional distress related to natural or human-caused disasters, including incidents of mass violence.

  • Call or text the hotline at 800–985–5990.
  • Additional resources and guidance on how to address community needs after incidents of mass violence is also provided online through SAMHS.

This web page from the SAMHSA Disaster Distress Helpline (Incidents of Mass Violence) explains what incidents of mass violence are and signs of emotional distress that affected individuals and communities may experience. It provides information regarding those at risk for emotional distress, possible trigger events, and additional resources.

SAMHSA’s National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders.

  • Call 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
  • Text your zip code to: 435748 (HELP4U)

The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline (formerly known as the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline) offers 24/7 call, text and chat access to trained crisis counselors who can help people experiencing suicidal, substance use, and/or mental health crisis, or any other kind of emotional distress. People can also dial 988 if they are worried about a loved one who may need crisis support.

  • Call or text 988, or chat 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline.
  • TTY users may use their preferred relay service or dial 711 and then 1-800-273-8255.
  • Calling services in English and Spanish; Language Line Solutions in over 250 languages. Text and chat are currently available in English only.

SAMHSA also maintains several online Mental and Behavioral Health Treatment Locators for individuals looking to find a local provider:

The Department of Veterans Affairs Vet Centers are community-based counseling centers to provide a wide range of social and psychological services, including professional counseling to eligible veterans, service members, including National Guard and Reserve components, and their families. They will also help connect community members who are not veterans to needed resources.

  • For more information and to locate a nearby Vet Center, visit: https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/
  • To call the national Vet Center Call Center, dial 877-927-8387.

This web page, (What to Expect in the Wake of Mass Violence), from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ National Center for PTSD provides information about mass violence events and the coping needs of affected individuals and communities. It highlights common reactions, explains immediate and long-term needs for those who experience mass violence, and includes strategies for managing ongoing distress.

Helping Students and Youth Cope with Trauma

The Department of Education is encouraging educators and families across the country to reference its report providing information and resources to promote mental health and social and emotional well-being among students among early childhood, K–12 schools, and higher education settings.

This publication from SAMHSA, (Tips for Young Adults: Coping With Mass Violence) explores the impact of mass violence on young adults (ages 18 to 26). It describes mass violence incidents and their common effects, suggests ways to cope, and identifies signs of the need for professional behavioral health support.

The SAMHSA-funded National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) coordinates with trauma-informed experts across the country to provide technical assistance, subject matter expertise, and onsite support in the wake of community-wide trauma.

  • This tip sheet, Coping after Mass Violence, provides information on common reactions to mass violence and lists strategies for coping. The resource explores emotional and behavioral reactions children and families may experience to encourage self-care techniques, including healthy habits and limiting of social media exposure

Securing Access to Nutritious Food

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers an array of programs aimed at securing access to nutritious food:

  • If you are seeking food assistance, please call the USDA National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY to speak with a representative who will find food resources such as meal sites, food banks, and other social services available near your location. The Hotline operates from 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. ET.
  • You can also text to the automated service at 914-342-7744 with a question that may contain a keyword such as “food”, “summer”, or “meals” to receive an automated response to resources located near an address and/or zip code.

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), is a federal program that provides nutrition benefits to low-income individuals and families that are used at stores to purchase food.

  • For any SNAP questions, you may call the SNAP Toll-free Information Number at 1-800-221-5689.
  • To apply for benefits or get information about SNAP, you must contact your local SNAP office. Each state has its own application form. If your state’s form is not on the web, you’ll need to contact your local SNAP office to request one. You can locate SNAP State Directory of Resources here: https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/state-directory

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) provides federal grants to states for supplemental foods, health care referrals, and nutrition education for low-income pregnant, breastfeeding, and non-breastfeeding postpartum women, and to infants and children up to age 5 who are found to be at nutritional risk.

The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program provides states, territories, and tribes with funds to operate programs designed to help families with lower incomes and children achieve economic self-sufficiency. The program provides monthly cash assistance payments to families with lower incomes and children, as well as a wide range of services.

Supporting People with Disabilities, Older Adults and Caregivers

Disability Information and Access Line (DIAL) provides information about community-based supports and services that people may be eligible for to live independently, go to school and work, and fully participate in all of life’s activities. DIAL’s staff are trained to work with people of various communications abilities and will spend as much time as needed to ensure effective communication. DIAL’s Information Specialists can assist people in all languages and are trained to work with callers who are deaf and hard-of-hearing.

  • Reach DIAL at (888) 677-1199, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET or

email DIAL@usaginganddisability.org.

The Eldercare Locator is a nationwide service that connects older adults and their caregivers with trustworthy local support resources. The Eldercare Locator can provide information to help older adults and caregivers find transportation to medical appointments, make repairs or modifications to their homes, receive in-home assistance, get meals delivered to the home, and

more. The hotline operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week and is available in English and Spanish, with translation in 180 languages.

Providing Access to Health Care

Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) are community-based health care organizations that provide comprehensive, culturally competent, high-quality primary health care services for people who have lower incomes, who are uninsured, or face other obstacles to getting health care. FQHCs provide services regardless of patients’ ability to pay and charge for services on a sliding fee scale.

The following is a list of FQHCs that serve patient populations with a majority (>50%) of Asian American and Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander (AA & NHPI) patients, and offer culturally-accessible services, including language support:

  • Asian Americans for Community Involvement Of Santa Clara (San Jose, CA)
  • Asian Health Services, Inc. (Oakland, CA)
  • Asian Human Services Family Health Center, Inc. (Chicago, IL)
  • Asian Pacific Health Care Venture (Los Angeles, CA)
  • Asian Services in Action, Inc (Akron, OH)
  • Bay Area Community Health (Fremont, CA)
  • Charles B. Wang Community Health Center, Inc. (New York, NY)
  • Chinatown Service Center (Los Angeles, CA)
  • Chuuk State Department of Health Services  (Chuuk, FM)
  • Community Medical Wellness Centers USA (Long Beach, CA)
  • Department of Health Pago (Pago, AS)
  • Greater Philadelphia Health Action, Inc. (Philadelphia, PA)
  • Guam Department of Public Health (Hagatna, GU)
  • Hana Community Health Center, Inc. (Hana, HI)
  • Healthpoint (Renton, WA)
  • Herald Christian Health Center (San Gabriel, CA)
  • Ho’ola Lahui Hawai’i  (Lihue, HI)
  • International Community Health Services (Seattle, WA)
  • Kagman Community Health Center E, Inc (Saipan, MP)
  • Kalihi-Palama Health Center (Honolulu, HI)
  • Kokua Kalihi Valley Comprehensive Family Services (Honolulu, HI)
  • Korean Health, Education, Information And Research Center (Los Angeles, CA)
  • Kosrae Community Health Center (Kosrae, FM)
  • Ministry of Health and Environment (Ebeye, MH)
  • Nhan Hoa Comprehensive Health Care Clinic, Inc. (Garden Grove, CA)
  • North East Medical Services (San Francisco, CA)
  • Operation Samahan, Inc. (National City, CA)
  • Pohnpei Community Health Center (Pohnpei, FM)
  • Republic of Palau Bureau of Health Services (Palau, PW)
  • Sea-Mar Community Health Center (Seattle, WA)
  • South Cove Community Health Center, Inc. (Boston, MA)
  • Southland Integrated Services, Inc. (Santa Ana, CA)
  • Sunset Park Health Council, Inc (Brooklyn, NY)
  • Wa’ab CHC / Yap State Dept of Health Services (Yap, FM)
  • Waianae District Comp Health & Hospital Board, Inc. (Waianae, HI)
  • Waimanalo Health Center (Waimanalo, HI)

Preventing Hate Crimes

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) is dedicated to preventing and fighting hate crimes. DOJ works to prevent hate crimes by supporting community education and dialogue, and providing support, technical assistance, and funding to state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies and service providers. When hate crimes do happen, DOJ can investigate and prosecute, and can also support victims and their families.

To report a hate crime:

If you believe you are the victim of a hate crime or believe you witnessed a hate crime:

  • STEP 1: Report the crime to your local police.
  • STEP 2: Quickly follow up this report with a tip to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). FBI – Tips (Field Offices — FBI)
  • For emergencies, dial 9-1-1 to get immediate help

Immigration relief for certain victims of crimes

The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.

Preventing Targeted Violence

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and The National Counterterrorism Center offer resources to help prevent targeted violence and keep individuals and institutions safe. Here are a few of those resources:

  • DHS field contacts: 
  • Resources to help with facility assessment and organizational readiness: 
  • Resources to help with personal readiness and preparedness: 
  • DHS/Federal Emergency Management Administration grant programs to address security and prevention: 
  • Connecting with Homeland Security Information Network Portal and resources from The National Counterterrorism Center:

Additional Resources for States and Communities

The Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services has also enabled Medicaid coverage for qualifying community-based mobile crisis services in the state, and is conducting outreach and providing technical assistance to those wishing to apply.

  • For more information about Medicaid call 877-267-2323. 

The Department of Commerce is offering grants and cooperative agreements to leverage existing regional assets and support the implementation of economic development strategies and projects that advance new ideas and creative approaches to advance economic prosperity in distressed communities.

The Department of Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools has established the Readiness and Emergency Management for School (REMS) Center to perform two critical functions: build the preparedness capacity (including prevention, protection, mitigation, response, and recovery efforts) of schools, school districts, IHEs, and their community partners at the local, state, and Federal levels; and serve as the primary source of information for schools, school districts, and IHEs for emergencies. 

The National Center on Safe and Supportive Learning Environments (NCSSLE), funded by the Department of Education’s Office of Safe and Supportive Schools, offers information and technical assistance to states, districts, schools, IHEs, and communities focused on improving school climate and conditions for learning.  


Official news published at https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2023/02/10/fact-sheet-resources-for-asian-american-native-hawaiian-and-pacific-islander-communities-in-the-aftermath-of-mass-violence/

Politics - USA DAILY NEWS 24 originally published at Politics - USA DAILY NEWS 24